Wednesday 1 December 2010

Snow Day!

One of the things I love about home education is how flexible it is. We had a huge snowfall (more than I've ever seen in my life) over the last 24 hours, and when Julian couldn't get in to work because there were no trains (I know - most of the world can cope with a few inches of snow; London can't) I was able to announce a "day off" and send the children (they all went other than C who is studying too hard, and hates snow anyway) to the park with J.

I'm sure there will be lots of informal learning . . . and lots of fun. And no doubt, photos :-)

(I realise that I sometimes comment here using my other log-in ID. In case anyone is confused, "The Mom" who posts comments is me; I just set up a new ID for this blog. )

2 comments:

  1. This was posted on my blog. I've written a reply but thought that Anne and Henrietta are more qualified to reply than me especially in terms of Scottish home education.
    Sarah

    Hi

    I hope you dont mind me posting here, i couldnt make a comment on your other blog because i dont have a google account/blog/Aim etc. I dont know any other Scots who homeschool and i was wondering how you find homeschooling in Scotland? I feel like it is impossible where i live, and i am not sure how i would cope with the subjects i dont feel i have any strength in (maths for example!). I was also wondering hwo you cope with the local community? Do they see it as strange that you homeschool?

    Thanks, and again, sorry for posting in the wrong place!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, try http://www.schoolhouse.org.uk/ for lots of info on Scottish home education. There are quite a few Scottish Home Educators on the Deut6v7 yahoo list.

    Anne home schools in Scotland, and I have quite a few friends who do.

    Coping with certain subjects and the views of the local community are big topics; and the answers are likely to be the same in the whole home ed community, rather than specifically Scottish. There are however differences in the legal systems, so if you are advised by anyone, make sure they know you are in Scotland!

    Henrietta

    ReplyDelete