Thursday 24 February 2011

School?!?

Sometimes I wonder if our relaxed approach to homeschooling is really sufficient, and worry that perhaps I ought to be starting more formal studies with my oldest son, who is six years old.  But more often, I remind myself that Elijah has really learned quite a lot just through every day living: exploring and reading and thinking and talking to me and to other trusted adults.  Not only do I think that there is no need for formal studies at this point, I think that it would really be better to postpone them.  At this point I'm planning to start more formal schooling this fall.

The other day, my sister and her husband Mark stopped in for a few minutes.  Elijah climbed up into Uncle Mark's lap, and Uncle Mark asked him, "So, Elijah, how was your day today?  Did you do any school?"

"School?!?" Elijah asked with an astonished and alarmed expression.

I had to laugh.  No, Elijah had not "done school" that day.  Instead, he had done the following:

Read a book about Eli Whitney (inventor of the cotton gin)
Drew pictures, using the encyclopedia for inspiration
Read a book about various astronomers
Made a flag with cardboard, paper, crayons, and tape
Read a book about various explorers
Built various things out of legos
Read a counting book to his brother (who is three)
Read a book about the planets to his brother
Discussed why the book about planets was outdated in that it called Pluto a planet, and reviewed the three qualifications that make a planet a planet
Read a fiction book about a horse named Lightning
Reviewed 1 John 2:12-29, which he plans to recite in catechism class the coming Lord's Day
Observed and discussed mockingbirds courting outside the dining room window
Drew a racetrack on the driveway with sidewalk chalk, and had bicycle/tricycle races with his brother
Observed his uncle working on the brakes on his car

He may not have "done school" that day but I think he had a productive day of learning, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. As I said on Facebook when I posted the link--now that I've hit "post" I'm worrying that I might have stepped on toes...education is such a sensitive subject for some. Formal studies (i.e. schedule, proper curriculum, etc.) may work well for some young children (I've known at least a couple that probably would have enjoyed it) but I don't think it's necessary for all young children, and many four, five, and six-year-olds will learn quite a lot without it, my oldest being one example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't worry about stepping on toes. That's not our main concern as parents.... I'm kind of formal in what the kids do, but that's not necessarily because I think it's the best way to go. Rather, it's the only way I think *I* could go - lacking the imagination etc for a less formal approach. (Having said all that, I'm chilling more and more with the youngest guy - he's nearly 8, and he does basic Language and Maths every day, but I'm more relaxed about what would be termed History, Geography etc.... they come in a variety of ways: reading, discussing, listening in on older siblings etc.

    So... definitely don't worry about what others think. God gave this child to *you*... go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressive. Do you make a really conscious effort to provide a "learning environment"?
    We have a very structured approach but find that the children enjoy the things most that they have chosen/ are interested in. I guess the challenge for me is to extrapolate their interests to touch all subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I do make a conscious effort to provide a learning environment. I make sure they have access to loads of children's non-fiction books, for one thing, and also keep my eyes open for interesting things to talk about.

    For instance:

    When he complained that he didn't have anything to read, I brought out the books about Eli Whitney and the explorers and said, "Here, these are pretty interesting, and I don't think you've read them yet."

    I pointed out the mockingbirds outside the window as we ate. "Look, the male is flying straight up and then down again. I think he's trying to impress the female, but look, she's pretending not to notice."

    I said "Take a look at this, boys, Uncle Ben is working on his car. See, he's taking the wheels off! What do you think he is doing?"

    I said "You're right, Elijah, Pluto isn't really a planet. Do you remember what makes a planet a planet?"

    Etc. And then he does/learns a lot of things of his own volition, too.

    ReplyDelete