Monday 5 December 2011

Our home education day-what works for us

Cross posted from my blog.


Other home educators' days always interest me and I've picked up so many ideas from other people.


This is a list of organisational ideas that have worked for us. I haven't written in aspirational ideas, for example, that I manage to have the slow cooker on each morning. It would be good if this were the case but it isn't! We have only been home educating for two and a half years so there is plenty of room for improvement.


  • First things first-start with the Bible and prayer.
  • A set order to the day-this has helped so much. This is easy to remember, unlike a school style timetable which can be different each day. Plus, whilst a child might not like every subject they get used to that fact that it just happens at that time.
  • Front load the day with the most important work. I would prefer that English and maths were done; if we fail to do art or computer studies it matters less.
  • Spend time with the little ones at the beginning. How this works for us is that after Bible time, I set Middle Son's English. He goes off to do this and I read to the younger children.

  •  Mr Exuberance, aged 34 months, is now happy to play independently, whilst his sister has time learning to read.

  • Toddlers can be challenging. I feel a bit of a fraud writing this as my little one is nearly three and is much more able to play alone, in the same room, for a few minutes, that he was even six months ago. If I needed so much time to teach reading now, I would either use nap time, if it still existed, or teach when Middle Son was free to play with Mr Exuberance.
  • Personal reading time after lunch.  The younger ones play educational games on the computer-next target for change. I hope that soon they will listen to talking books in this time.
  • Set finishing time-good for everyone!
  • Planning-I make major curriculum decisions before the beginning of the year and a rough plan of how I would like things to work.  Each week, there is a planning session for the details with a weekly chart of what I have planned-yes, we don't always keep to it but it is invaluable on a busy morning. 
  • Trips-We've realised that the best trips are closely related to the children's work. Now we also try to tie in books for the little ones and turn down trips that don't fit in with what the children are learning. 

  • Extra-curricular activities-the ones that work best for us are close to home. Petrol costs can quickly outweigh a slightly cheaper course, ignoring the time issue and exercise walking to a local event.
Do feel free to comment with your own tips. I am always looking for ways of making the day run more efficiently.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sarah! This is very helpful.
    I just wish my three-year-old would play independently. She wants to join in with Isaac in writing words (though she can't write more than three letters or so), lately, so it is hard to focus on just him. Lately, I have been switching the focus back and forth, but this is frustrating for me.
    Do you have any advice on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i came over to this blog to let you know, i've been unable to comment on your homeschool on the croft site for the past couple of days. i know blogger changed some comments settings, so if you have yours set to 'embed below post' it is probably keeping some folks (like me) from commenting. i just wanted you to know i read your doggie post and SO wanted to comment on his cute jowls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your plan of action sounds great. You've figured out an awful lot in a very short amount of time and with your house full of charming little distractions! I think you've got a great, balanced handle on things. God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete